Friday 18 May 2012

Norwegian Apple Cake

Ahhh, I'm finished with my essays (and my degree!) so it's time for some guilt-free blogging about a not-so-guilt-free cake. It's got apple in it though so...consider that one of your five-a-day?

Unlike the cheesecake last week, this recipe is very familiar to me, one that I make fairly often. It's a recipe that my mum has been making for years and that I've been making since I came to uni. It's REALLY easy and a real crowd-pleaser.

So here it is, my Norwegian Apple Cake!
Ingredients:
2 eggs
225g caster sugar
100g butter
150ml milk
175g plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3-4 Bramley Cooking Apples (this is what the recipe in the book says but I tend to use two or three of any apples I have lying around, this time: Pink Lady apples!)


- Line, or grease and flour a 20 x 30 cm roasting tin.
- Whisk eggs and 200g sugar together until thick and creamy, and whisk leaves a trail when lifted up.

- Put butter and milk into a pan.
- Bring to the boil, and stir, still boiling, into the egg mixture.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold carefully into the mixture until there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the greased or lined roasting tin.

- Heat the oven to 200C, 400F, or Gas Mark 6.
- Peel, core and slice apples, and arrange them over mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar. 

- Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Cool in tin.
- Enjoy!

I made this cake on a whim. It was the night before my essays were due, I was beginning to freak out because they were done, printed and I had nothing else to do. "I'm free," I said. "I could do anything, read a non-course book, watch a film, bake a cake. A cake. I could bake a cake!" Within the hour I'd run to Sainsbury's for butter, made the cake mix, cut the apples and had the cake in and out of the oven.  This kind of thing is perfect if you're in a rush or want something that doesn't need decorating since the apples do that for you!
 You should definitely make this. For me. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment